Sunday, January 16, 2011

Oppression

In advance, please forgive me for this overly academic post.  I have written seven papers in the last 24 hours, and though they were only around 2 pages each...it was still 7 papers.

Six of the papers were responses to readings for a class I am currently taking.  It is a required Women's Studies course on Feminist Theory.  The class is dense, to say the least.  I was dreading taking it, but I just finished reading some life changing articles.  It is kind of funny because when people learn that I am a feminist, their responses are unpredictable.  Some freak out, some applaud, some are ambivalent.  To me, being a feminist means that I do not support oppression, and will never support inequality.
I love that Pink did this!
Today at church a woman mentioned that she felt the place of a woman was in the house.  Let me say that her opinion in no way represented that of the church's or the congregation.  When she said this, though, I cringed.  Women are capable of anything they want to do, just like men are.  Black women are capable of anything white women can do.  And the list goes on. 

As a social worker, I look forward to facing these inequalities head on.  I also recognize that it will be incredibly difficult to fight against long-standing views of so many.  At the end of the day, each person is entitled to their own beliefs, but if you ever ask me what I belief to be true, my answer will be love and equality!

No comments:

Post a Comment