Monday, January 10, 2011

Half Masted

While enjoying a great meal at George's (see yesterday's post), my sister and I were struck by the news that was on the TV by us.  A shooting?  At an event with an Arizona congresswoman?  Really?  I felt frustrated, upset, hurt and emotional.  This tragedy affected so many people, families and communities around the country, and I am fearful about the fact that there are such intense extremists and radicalism in our nation.  From Glenn Beck, Palin and privatized militia...where will the line be drawn?  Will it just be ignored?  This isn't republican vs democrat because I do not believe Palin (or the Tea Party) represent Republicans.  This is about intense ideas, scary ideas influencing our citizens.  No one but the shooter is to blame for what happened Saturday, but at the same time, when there are lists of political "threats" that are available to the public, is that now dangerous? Was that responsible?

To read an amazing blog on the tragedy, click here.  Adrienne is an activist in many areas.  She is controversial, she herself tends to have some extreme views on things, but she has an amazing story and great insight.

I walked on campus today, and saw the half-masted flag.  I asked my mother if it was for the shooting, and she said yes.  I was struck with a sense of beauty from this.  All around the country today, flags were raised only half way.  We were only half as joyful today, we were only half as whole today as we have lost people, important people, including an amazing little girl.  This world is horribly broken, yet today, our nation stood by one another in acknowledging the fact that it will take time to adjust to life without loved ones lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment