Saturday, August 13, 2011

Survival of the Financially Wise

The stock market is psycho.  We're experiencing economic times similiar to those experienced in 1929.  And the American dollar (and credit rating) is becoming rather worthless.

What does this all mean for me? You?  For one thing, it means that taking out money for student loans is quite terrifying.  My interest rate is pretty high because of how many loans of other people have gone unpaid or are in default.  What if the rate gets higher?  What if subsidized loans become nonexistant?

My degree will allow me to get a job starting with a salary around $70k.  That is if the market in this field continues to remain strong for 2 more year.s  Also will require me to be flexible with location.  What if I fall in love and have to stay in Michigan?  Well then I'll make around $50...which I could make without going to school.  So how do I rationalize going to grad school and pissing away $48,000?  Granted I have a tiny scholarship and some subsidized loans, most of this will be borrowed and will have to be paid back.  What if I can't find a job? What if I get sick?

So what makes sense?  I am currently trying to decide if I want to take out an unsubsidized loan for the Fall term this year.  I don't "need" it because I can use my savings to cover whatever my subsidized loans don't cover.  But what about the necessary emergency fund everyone talks about?  Money is stressful.  Why the hell don't I have stock in gold?

No comments:

Post a Comment