Friday, August 26, 2011

Loss

Read this article.  I'm serious.  I cried. 

I think part of why I cried is because of what it symbolizes to me.  Dogs love their owners, so unconditionally.  Think of pets that are tortured, as soon as you offer a kind word they are warmed back up to you and want nothing but your love.  This dog loved his father, and is heartbroken about his loss.

What about people?  Do people truly grasp this emotion; the emotion of loss?  Experiencing a death of a loved one is nothing you can prepare yourself for.  I don't care if it's sudden or gradual, it hurts the same and the uncomfortability of not being able to call that person/smell them/hear them/see them makes the reality incredible unbearable.  There are still moments when I lose my breath thinking about my grandmother, or about what a family I used to know experienced when a mother lost her son.  Loss is powerful.  It draws people closer, makes people irrational, makes people act out of character, and makes many realize things about their life they want to change, enhance or let go by the wayside.

How has loss affected your life?

2 comments:

  1. Ummm, I don't think that article link is supposed to go to the child with the thermometer in her mouth... right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good catch, John...must have copied it wrong!!! Thanks for pointing it out...it's an article worth the read!!! :) Hope life at Microsoft is GREAT.

    ReplyDelete