Thursday, September 1, 2011

Bold

Boldness is admirable.  Whether your bold by telling someone about your life, your faith; by approaching a person you want to get to know; or if you're bold by making risky decisions, it can be a freeing and learning experience. 

I like to think that I'm passionate.  Well, I know that I'm passionate.  If you tell me about a social issue, or something of social injustice, I can jump on board with a petition, plan or political movement to work closer toward equality quite easily.  But even though I am passionate, I am not always bold.  Though I detest inequality, I listen to derogatory comments, watch racism and witness classism all of the time; and rarely do I respond vocally.  I want to learn how to be bold, learn how to speak up for how I feel and learn how to go after exactly what I want.

I hate the movie Knight and Day, really I do.  But the beginning of the movie reminds me of the boldness I do NOT have.  Cameron Diaz is on a flight with Tom Cruise, and finds him cute and flirty.  She preps herself in the bathroom, comes out and kisses him passionately.  Of course she later finds out that he's crazy and the movie turns weird, but for the moment that she takes what she wants, I envy her bold passion. 

Sometimes I feel like women don't have the freedom to just go up to a guy and express what she wants.  A woman who just wants a fling is written off by many men, yet so is a woman who wants to get married?  Why can't we all just be bold, honest, and enjoy each stage as it comes?

No comments:

Post a Comment