Thursday, September 8, 2011

Orientation

I feel like I've been away from the blogging world for awhile, though it really hasn't been all that long.  Since my last post, I've been to Kentucky, have started graduate school and have been adjusting to life as a student, employee, and intern. 

Last week, at orientation, the faculty, dean and administrators stressed "self care".  Self care is basically the things you do for YOU; whether it be exercise, journaling, blogging, friend time, sleep, etc.  In a field like social work it is really easy to get burned out, overwhelmed and completely exhausted.  I'm working, currently, on figuring out what I need.  What is it that I require to function my best? 

Orientation as a whole was quite drawn out and not all that informative.  For those familiarized with the university (things like ctools, wolverine access, etc) it wasn't incredibly valuable.  That being said, I loved meeting people and hearing the interests of all of the faculty.  It was also helpful to meet people in my specific concentration area.  It's always nice to see familiar faces in the hallways and in the classrooms. 

I  will post more about grad school, courses, and my developing self care activities later, but for now, know that my life is in complete transition, and I am walking gingerly each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment