Saturday, June 25, 2011

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Being a graduated senior NOT living in Ann Arbor with all of my friends is proving to be quite bizarre.  Not only am I the one who has to put in the effort to visit with friends (since I'm the one who "left") but even when I DO, people have other plans, are busy or don't have the time to break away from the relationships that are there...the ones that people rely on the most because they are more tangible.

I've been planning on going to AA this weekend for awhile because I'm working in Ypsilanti tonight.  I was going to spend the night both last night and tonight...but now I'm not even sure ANY of my plans will work out.  People are flaky, busy and HATE committing to plans.  I get it, ya know.  Lives move on.  The problem is that I have moved SO many times and know the routine like the back of my hand.  As soon as plans with old friends are unimportant enough to forgo for better opportunities, the friendship is most definitely on the way to dismissal. 

As I keep myself busy with work, work, and more work...I am hopeful for the Fall.  New friends, back in AA at least on a daily basis and ever busy.  I don't want new friendships to replace current ones, but to simply fill in the gaps that moving and graduating have placed on all of those close to me. 
unlikely group...

Something I've realized is that even though you grow closer to people in college than ever before, it is set up to be temporary.  If you want to be long lasting, you have to put in the effort....but it must be reciprocated to be worthwhile.  At what point should work stop being more important than friends? At what point should "reflection time" or personal time be more or less important than friendships?

No comments:

Post a Comment