Thursday, May 12, 2016

Breastfeeding... Ouch

I did not try to breastfeed in the beginning, I decided to breastfeed. I armed myself with tricks to increase supply, studied positioning, and ignorantly believed my instincts, and hers, would suffice. Wrong. Breastfeeding has been the most challenging experience, from the first days of her not latching. 

We have survived poor latch, mastitis, thrush (ouchhh), tongue and lip ties, fast let down, over supply, shallow latch, and cracked so super sore nipples.  And after so much effort ($ too) we are at about 75% pain free nursing and I could cry! Happy cry not pain cry! 

I've dreaded every feed, felt nauseous and nearly black out when she would latch. What a joy to sit in the quiet and feed my babe. Pain free. Peace.

This- this is why I love breastfeeding. When you see me feed my perfect baby girl you know nothing of the pain and fight we've both experienced to get here. I had hoped that negativity towards breastfeeding was gone- but it's not- and all I can think is that maybe if they knew how hard we've had to fight in order to give my baby her nourishment, maybe then they'll respect this womanly art. And maybe they won't. I don't know but I hope. 

So please, if you don't like watching moms breastfeed, don't look. If you look, look lovingly because I promise she's a nervous wreck because of the negative messages we get about feeding our babies- though I do hope this nervousness dissipates! 

No comments:

Post a Comment