Thursday, April 14, 2011

Honesty

Honesty.  It seems oh so simply, right?  You just tell the truth; you just speak what's on your mind; you simply state the actuality of a situation.  The problem is that as humans, we don't like to hurt people's feelings, we don't like to be judged, we like to be interesting, and we don't want to start fights (and sometimes we do want to do so, unnecessarily). 
bad lighting. but hair is at least shown!

I got my hair done yesterday!  I redid my highlights and got it trimmed.  I love getting my hair done because I get to talk to the hairdresser for 3 hours about whatever I want, or we can sit in silence which can also be incredibly relaxing.  I loved the fact that I could tell her anything; any truth about my life knowing that I didn't care if she judged me because I didn't know her.  It was freeing.  At the same time, part of me wanted to be someone else, someone more interesting and tell her more fascinating stories about myself.  I didn't; I told her truths about my life.  And it was freeing and refreshing.

The other thing about getting your hair done is that people feel the need to comment on it.  A guy at work today said I looked nice today.  Then a couple seconds later asked what was different about me.  Then he squealed after realizing on his own that I had my hair done.  He awkwardly said he loved it and then we went on with our days.

There are lots of things that we aren't honest about, lots of things I'm not completely honest about.  At the end of the day you pick your battles and you make the bed you lie in.  What does your bed look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment