Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tearful Moments

I know you all have been here. The moments where you feel so completely misunderstood that all you can do is nod, smile, and fight back the tears.

But what is it about needing to feel understood that is so important to us? I would argue that it's particularly important to women, but honestly I think it's a human need that most of us have. I know I do.

I think for me, I've spent most of my life thinking and feeling like no one understood me or my pain, regardless of whether that was true or not. No one knew what it was like to be me though and that has always been hard. I don't understand why people don't just know why I'm shutting them out, building walls, crying, or doing any of my other awesome behaviors. I feel like I'm pretty easy to get; I'm damaged, I've been Hurt a lot so I'm quick to feel insecure and attacked, and I'm currently under lots of stress. What else do you need to know in order to understand me?

My irrational need to be understood, however, puts those who love me on a tough spot. Despite their efforts to love me, it's not enough if I don't feel understood. So what happens? People's efforts go unappreciated and I still feel ALONE.

Moving forward I can say these three things: 1. Professional help is not a sign of weakness. Nor are my tears right now. They just prove that I've been strong for so long and I need help now. 2. The support from my friends and family means so much to me, regardless of whether I can acknowledge it at the time. 3. It's okay to want to be understood. I'm not bad or wrong for wanting so desperately for someone to get my pain.

Be nice to one another. Love one another. And help one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment