Wednesday, July 18, 2012

In Rememberance

goofy papaw at bailey's bday party in 2008
Well 2012 doesn't seem to be lightening its burden on the Polen/McGarvey clan anytime soon.  After spending a day in Lebanon to celebrate Christopher's grandma's 95th birthday, my family received news the my papaw Darrell had taken a turn for the worse.  He has been courageously fighting leukemia (SLL/CLL) since last Memorial Day, but an infection had gotten into his bloodstream and with such a weak immune system from the treatment, this time things never got better as hoped.  My parents and brother came in to town from Michigan, Brittany from Indy, and our entire family was able to be at the hospital to say goodbye and I love you.  It was an emotionally draining day, and a physically exhausting day, but I am grateful my entire family was able to be there to support one another.

My mom is such a trooper.  She is so strong and such a rock.  Despite being sore from a bone marrow biopsy the day before, she was there all day on Saturday supporting her dad and her family through this horrible process. 

Cancer is no friend of our family, and seems to have had a death grip on us since 2004.  I can only dream of a day where its destructive nature no longer follows us wherever we go. 



No comments:

Post a Comment